Every year, Americans generate an estimated 50 million tons of electronic waste, and approximately 75% of that ends up in our landfills. Because of such dumping, harmful chemicals leach into our soil, and ultimately, our ground water. The remaining 25% of end-of-life electronics are incinerated, leaching those same harmful chemicals into the air we breathe. Either way you cut it, getting rid of e-waste is a burden to our environment that seems unavoidable. So, how can electronics manufacturers help reduce the amount of electronic waste in our landfills? Consider remanufacturing as part of OEM’s environmental responsibility.


Extending the Lifespan of Electronics with Better PLM

OEM enterprises that want to ease the burden of e-waste on the environment can consider partnering with a reliable electronics remanufacturing center that specializes in Product Lifecycle Management (PLM). By extending the lifespan of electronics, manufacturers can significantly cut down on cost by reducing the need to produce or purchase new product and get more use out of salvageable product.

Finding a partner that can handle your products from cradle-to-grave and specializes in remanufacturing to OEM standards can significantly reduce your environmental impact. When OEM enterprises offer extensive triage testing, repair, programming, and logistical competencies through reliable service centers, remanufactured products can be delivered to customers for a fraction of the cost of purchasing new. As a result, it’s a win win for all, especially the environment.


Managing End-of-Life

As the need for recycling increases, OEMs have cultivated an array of strategies for managing proper disposal of their end-of-life products. Various OEM regulations exist regulating waste, including the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment directive in Europe, and the Electronic Waste Recycling Act in California.

OEM recycling programs can be a direct response to such laws and regulations, but importantly are a response to an OEM’s commitment to the environment. Through an effective recycling program, OEMs facilitate and manage product end-of-life parts and components through a process in which parts are harvested, recycled and properly disposed.


Adhering to the ISO 14001 Standard

ISO 14001 is the international standard that specifies requirements for an effective environmental management system (EMS). It provides a framework that an organization can follow, rather than establishing environmental performance requirements. OEMs who implement an ISO 14001 and adhere to ISO 14001 standards can benefit greatly. Benefits to maintaining ISO 14001 environmental certification include lowering business costs through reducing resource consumption and waste production, improving environmental performance, reducing environmental impact, and controlling environmental risk.


Remanufacturing is Good for the Environment

Regardless of who you choose to help you get the most out of your product, consider searching for an environmentally aware partner. Interested in learning more? Read more about why remanufacturing is good for the environment.


sustainable manufacturing